Jailed Over Small-Value Bribes
A bribe, regardless of the amount, is illegal.
2. On 15 February 2019, Zhao Yucun (赵玉村), a 44-year-old Forklift Truck Operator employed by Cogent Container Depot Pte Ltd (“Cogent”) was sentenced to four months’ imprisonment and ordered to pay a penalty of $10,863 for the practice of obtaining bribes from truck drivers at Cogent.
3. Zhao was responsible for operating forklifts for the loading and unloading of containers to and from trucks. Investigations revealed that he had, in the course of his employment with Cogent, obtained bribes of $7 to $10 daily from truck drivers in exchange for not delaying the loading and unloading of containers to and from their trucks. When Zhao was arrested by the CPIB in March 2018, coins amounting to $2.50 were found on the mudguard of Zhao’s forklift.
4. Zhao had embarked on this corrupt practice from 2 September 2013 up to 12 March 2018 and it was estimated he had obtained approximately $10,865.50 in bribes. As a result, Zhao was charged with the practice of corruptly obtaining gratifications from truck drivers at Cogent, as an inducement to not delay the loading and unloading of containers from trucks, an offence punishable under section 6(a) of the Prevention of Corruption Act, Chapter 241, which is an amalgamated charge pursuant to section 124(4) of the Criminal Procedure Code, Chapter 68.
5. Singapore adopts a strict zero-tolerance approach towards corruption. It is a serious offence to obtain bribes, or attempt to obtain bribes from another individual or entity. Any person who is convicted of a corruption offence can be fined up to $100,000 or sentenced to imprisonment of up to 5 years or to both.
6. The CPIB looks into all corruption complaints and reports, including anonymous ones, and can be reached via the following channels:
a) Visit or write to us at the CPIB Headquarters @ 2 Lengkok Bahru, S159047 or Corruption Reporting & Heritage Centre @ 247 Whitley Road S297830;
b) Call the Duty Officer at 1800-376-0000;
c) Lodge an e-Complaint; or
d) Email us at email@example.com
Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau