Former Singapore Table Tennis Association President served with corruption charges
The first accused, Choo Wee Khiang (Choo), was the President of the Singapore Table Tennis Association (STTA) at the time of the alleged offences.
2. From 2005 to 2007, the Bureau received several anonymous complaints against the first accused, alleging that he had charged his personal airfares, expenses, phone bills to the Association and receiving gifts from Chinese coaches and players.
3. Pursuant to the information, CPIB conducted an investigation which revealed that in 2005, Choo had received a gratification of $1,500/- from one Liu Zhongze, who was then a national team player, through one Luo Jie, who was then an assistant coach of STTA, in return for giving Liu Zhongze more opportunities to represent STTA in table tennis tournaments.
4. Investigation also revealed that between 2003 and 2004, Choo had received gratification totaling US$600/- on two separate occasions from one Shi Mei Sheng, who was then a STTA coach, as a reward to Choo for approving the use of two different training facilities in China.
5. The second accused, Koh Li Ping (Koh), was the High Performance Manager of STTA at the time of the alleged offence.
6. Between 2002 and 2003, the said Luo Jie, whose work pass only permitted him to work for STTA, provided table tennis training to students for a local secondary school. However, the school was unable to pay him for the training provided, which amounted to a sum of $8,400. Luo Jie informed the first accused, Choo and second accused, Koh of the matter. It is alleged that they then arranged with the principal of the school to engage STTA in a new training arrangement with the intention to use the proceeds received to pay Luo Jie for the outstanding fees. Subsequently, after STTA received the payment from the school, Koh obtained approval from Choo to authorise a payment of $8,400 to Luo Jie, even though the latter did not provide any training services under the new training arrangement.
7. Choo Wee Khiang and Koh Li Ping will be charged in Court on 8th December 2011.
8. Choo Wee Khiang will be charged for three counts of corruptly accepting gratification under Section 6(a) of the Prevention of Corruption Act, Chapter 241; and one count of criminal breach of trust as a servant, which is an offence under Section 408 of the Penal Code, Chapter 224.
9. Koh Li Ping will be charged for one count of engaging with Choo Wee Khiang in a conspiracy to commit criminal breach of trust as a servant, an offence under Section 408 read with Section 109 of the Penal Code, Chapter 224.
10. The respective charges are attached for reference.