Paying the Price for Trying to Obtain Bribes
Companies should report any solicitation for bribes to the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB). Individuals who solicit bribes will face serious consequences.
2. On 19 August 2021, Subramaniam s/o Panneer Selvam (“Subramaniam”), a 55-year-old Singaporean male, was sentenced to a fine of S$45,000 for corruption. At the material time, Subramaniam was employed as a Deputy Manager of Management Corporation Strata Title Plan No. 2137 (“MCST 2137”), which oversees the management of Bugis Junction.
3. Investigations by CPIB revealed that Subramaniam had solicited bribes from two Comfort Management Pte Ltd (“Comfort”) employees on two separate occasions as a reward for assisting Comfort to win a tender called by MCST 2137. This tender was for a Green Mark (Platinum) Recertification and Green Mark Incentive Scheme project. Subramaniam had attempted to obtain S$15,000 from an Assistant General Manager and General Manager at Comfort on 27 April 2020 and 18 June 2020 respectively. On both occasions, the Comfort employees ignored Subramaniam’s corrupt offer. The incidents were reported to Comfort’s management, and subsequently referred to CPIB. For his actions, Subramaniam was charged in Court under Section 6(a) of the Prevention of Corruption Act on 16 April 2021.
4. Singapore adopts a zero-tolerance approach towards corruption. Any person who is convicted of a corruption offence can be fined up to S$100,000 or sentenced to imprisonment of up to 5 years or to both.
5. CPIB looks into all corruption complaints and reports, including anonymous ones, and can be reached via the following channels:
a) Lodge an e-Complaint;
b) Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org;
c) Call the Duty Officer at 1800-376-0000; or
d) Write to us at the CPIB Headquarters @ 2 Lengkok Bahru, S159047.
6. Where possible, the report should include the following information:
a) Where, when and how the alleged corrupt act happened?
b) Who was involved and what were their roles?
c) What was the bribe given and the favour shown?
Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau